Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Pie People

Ever since I can remember, my family and I have never been "pie" people. Correction, I like picking the crust off and eating only that. After many death stares, I'm not allowed crust pick anymore! I'm the same way with any sort of crisp, so I think I have a problem. First step is admitting it right?

This year for Thanksgiving I wanted to give the pie the ol' college try. This time as to not trigger my crust addiction, I'm making a pie without a top crust: the pecan pie! This pie has worried me for a while because of the specific baking standards it required. I feel like it has to be one of those pies where you take it out while there's still a solid jiggle but not soupy. Even though achieving this perfect wiggle gives me slight anxiety, I'm excited to try! Also I can't promise any extra dough bits won't be savagely eaten in the process...

What you'll need:

-2 cups chopped pecans (leave some whole if you want that pretty looking top)
-1 prepared pie crust (homemade or from the store) 9 inch.
-4 eggs
-1 cup light corn syrup
-1/3 cup brown sugar
-1/4 cup granulated sugar
-4 tbs melted butter, melted
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-Pinch of salt

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F
2. In a greased 9 inch pie plate, carefully place the crust into it forming into the dish, crimp the edges with your fingers, a fork, whatever you want!
3. Pop the crust into the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. In a large bowl mix the eggs, corn syrup, granulated sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla, and salt together.
5. Once combined, stir in the chopped pecans. 
6. Pour the mixture into the chilled pie crust. Now would be the time to place the pecans that were left whole on top to make it fancy. If not, don't worry about it!
7. Place the pie in the preheated oven and check on it after 30 minutes and every other 10 minutes thereafter if it needs more time. You are looking for a very slight jiggle and a golden crust. (Note: I'd place this on a sheet pan in case it drips anywhere, thank me later).
8. Once you've reached the correct amount of jiggle and the crust is golden, take the pie out and set aside to cool for many hours to set up.
9. Once completely cooled and there is no more jiggle, you're ready to dive in! 



A few things I'd like to mention- mainly, I was terrified I overcooked this. When I went to check on it at 30 minutes there was NO jiggle! Throw me in pie jail and throw away the key. My dilemma was that the crust wasn't quite there so I threw some tin foil over it and hoped for the best. I'm thinking my oven is off so I'm sure you'll have a better time that I did. Despite my fears, later on in the day it was cut into and much to my surprise... it was perfectly cooked! HALLELUJAH. 

Anyway, this process was a tad bit too stressful for me and I didn't even have any! The only thing that could calm me was pie crust picking, but I couldn't even do that! I think I'll stick to the apple pie and appreciate that I tried and succeeded in making a pecan pie.

Meaghan 



No comments:

Post a Comment