Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Mac and Cheese If You Please

Macaroni and cheese is a touchy subject. There are box people and homemade people and then people who don't care, just give them food! I'm the third person, it's not my fault I'm hungry all the time!

My mac and cheese journey has definitely changed over the years. I have quite fond memories of this particular food. I remember when I was really young, my sister made the BEST mac and cheese. It was from that blue box, but it just tasted so different than usual box mac and cheese. I still don't know what she did to it to make it taste that good, but I'll enjoy the magical memory. Then I stumbled onto my Grammie's version of her homemade baked mac and cheese topped with buttery Ritz crackers. YUM. When I started tooling around with my own version I was on the baked route all the way. More recently, however, I've switched it up a bit, I obviously wanted the best of both worlds. I've cut the oven out all together and have now opted for a stovetop version like the box, but homemade, that I think it's possibly the most perfect mac and cheese I've come up with... and now you get to try it too!

-1 lb short pasta
-2 cups cheddar cheese shredded (I like New York extra sharp)
-3 slices of provolone cheese (sliced thin and torn into pieces)
-3 tbs butter
-3 tbs flour
-4-6 cups milk (Depending on how saucy you want it- add more, add less. Whole milk is preferred but works perfectly findewith skim. My skinny roommate has tested this for me.)
-1 tsp mustard powder
-salt and pepper to taste

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to box instructions. When the pasta has been cooked, strain, and set aside.

**This next part has to come together a bit faster so get all your ingredients ready to go.**

2. In a large sauce pot, melt the butter on a medium-high heat.
3. Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour until it's incorporated and cook for 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly.
4. Throw in the mustard powder and salt and pepper to taste. Keep on whisking.
5. Pour in the milk little at a time, whisking constantly and allowing the addition of milk to incorporate with the flour mixture. 
6. Once all the milk has been added, lower the heat to medium and whisk until the mixture is thick and coats the back of the spoon. This should take a few minutes.
7. When the sauce has thickened, take off the heat and slowly whisk in the cheese. **Taste the sauce and adjust seasonings if needed**
8. When the cheese has melted, toss in the macaroni and stir until everything is coated in that luscious sauce. 

EAT!



This stovetop method is now my go to, I don't have to worry about it drying out in the oven, I don't have to worry about the ingredients I can't read on the box, and everything is so cheesy and fresh. It's just amazing. You can go ahead and add other stuff too if you'd like- chicken? Veggies? If you are really missing that crunchy topping, toast up some panko or crushed Ritz crackers in butter and top your mac and cheese! 

I'm confident I can convert you to this side of things. You can thank me later... when you're done stuffing your face : )

Meaghan  

No comments:

Post a Comment