Wednesday, January 2, 2019

New Year's Day

New year's day. A time where people book it to the gym, eat their veggies, and try to become a better version of themselves. Meanwhile I'm over here like what can I eat first?

This new year's eve was a quiet one, honestly I don't even think I made it to midnight. Come on, what do you expect, I'm over 30! None the less, I was still super tired the next morning and wanting to kick my new year off right.

I decided that new year's day was "treat yo self" day and it all started with breakfast *devil face emoji*. There is a diner in town called the Palace Diner and it is... beyond a doubt, some of the best food you will ever eat. Driving up to this 15 seater 1927 Pollard train car in the middle of downtown you'll be thinking... this is it? Let me tell you- this is it. I always go first thing in the morning because it packs in immediately. While out in line in the frigid cold I met a couple coming to the diner for the first time! This was exciting for me, naturally, and I was trying to contain my urge tell them exactly what to order for maximum pleasure. But once they asked for suggestions, all bets were off. I rattled off everything and as the diner opened I quickly scooted inside.

I don't need a menu anymore, I know what to get: cheeseburger and fries. At 8am. Like I said, had to start off the new year on the right foot! This was also my number one suggestion to the couple I talked about earlier, luckily I was sitting next to them and they definitely ordered the burger so I was quite excited to see their reactions.

Once my burger was placed in front of me it was like the heavens opened. This is seriously the best burger I have ever had. A sesame seed bun so soft yet crispy, the perfect thin burger patty, the perfect amount of melty yummy cheese, fresh shredded iceberg, house made pickles, and mustard make up this masterpiece. Also... the fries. THE FRIES. So salty and crispy and just perfect! Every single bite is beyond amazing and better than the last. As I was finishing up the woman beside me finally got her burger and the noises she was making were simply not human. She thanked me between moans and I felt I had done my job for the day!


After being stuffed like never before, I rolled myself home and fell onto the couch and did not move for hours. Perfection. So after an afternoon of lounging, taking the tree down (so sad), and a major clean, it was time to start dinner.

I have been planning exactly what I wanted for dinner on new year's day for about a week. I wanted something warm, comforting, and something I hadn't made before. I thought it would be a good time to try to make short ribs! This was also a challenge for myself since the current state of my kitchen is dismal due to current home renovations.
**Post edit: these short ribs are slap your mama good and I made my way around the construction site juuuuust fine!

What you'll need:

-4 lbs short ribs
-3 carrots
-1 onion
-2 stalks of celery
-6 cloves of garlic
-One 32oz carton of beef stock
-a few sprigs of both thyme and rosemary
-1/2 cup all purpose flour

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. Preheat a large heavy bottomed dutch oven to medium high- add a couple tablespoons of oil and a tablespoon of butter.
3. Salt and pepper each short rib all over.
4. Thinly coat each short rib with flour and place into the pot to sear every side (a couple minutes per side should do the job).
5. When each short rib is nicely browned take out of the pot and set aside.
6. Chop the onion, celery, and carrots into larger chucks and add to the pot to sauté for about15 minutes until the start to soften.
7. When the veggies have softened, nestle the short ribs back into the pot with the veggies. It's like you're putting them down for a long winter's nap!
8. Once everything is all situated in the pot, pour the beef stock in. This should just about cover the ribs- don't submerge, just fill until they are almost covered.
9. Roughly chop the garlic and sprinkle over the top.
10. Throw the sprigs of thyme and rosemary in as well and you're ready to pop it in the oven!
11. Place the covered dutch oven into the preheated oven for 3 1/2 hours.
12. When the wait is over, fish out the stocks from the thyme and rosemary- don't want to eat those.

EAT!






I fried up some potato slices for a side but you could do mashed potatoes, rice, pasta, nothing?

All in all it was a delicious and relaxing day! Here's to a smooth 2019 full of yummy food and good times!

Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment