Saturday, March 14, 2015

Off To The Desert!


A few years ago, my aunt and uncle made the move from Maine to Arizona. Sounds random, but I have family out there- so really they just joined the warm weather family. My parents have been out a few times but I never have until now! I decided now was as good of time as ever! I had some goals while I was there of course... get In-N-Out, see the Grand Canyon, drive on a desert road like you see in the movies (I don't get out much obviously), and try to get a tan... you know, the usual. 


All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go...
Name that movie for extra points
Portland from the sky
After what felt like the LONGEST plane ride of my life, we landed in Phoenix where I was immediately sweating like a whore in church. (I don't do well in the heat- my blood is thicker... I'm from New England!) After the initial climate change shock, I began to acclimate. First thing on the to-do list... In-N-Out. I had never had In-N-Out before and let me tell you. Yes... just yes. If you ever make a trip to the western side of the country... get some. I'm kind of glad we don't have any here because I'd weight about 700 pounds. For real.



A short car ride and we arrived at the House of Harris in Goodyear. My first impression is that this was a southwest Pleasantville. The kind of neighborhood where kids play in the streets and block parties are the norm. In other words, much different from the busy streets I grew up on. Of course the houses are all huge and very similar looking- I'd get lost walking down he street. What's new.  

The agenda for the next few days was pretty chill, not much, just hanging around, but I wasn't complaining. 

With Sunday, came Sunday brunch. Quickly becoming one of my favorite hobbies! We set out to Red's at the Wigwam Resort. Driving through Old Litchfield Road was so beautiful, felt like I was California dreaming...


Sitting down for bunch was no different, such an amazing atmosphere with great food and family... so this is what people in warm weather do for fun! After brunch we hit a kind of street fair with tons of vendors of local art, food, and odds and ends.


View from my seat... horrible, I know



The next day we made the couple hour drive to Queen Creek for lunch at the Queen Creek Olive Mill, this little olive ranch out in the middle of nowhere! The food was killer and the place was so cute. They sell olive oils in just about every variety, some of the more interesting ones include chocolate, bacon, various herbs, lemon, and so much more! They also sell other specialty food items, I picked up some pasta- lemon pepper pasta to be exact. I'd never thought I'd spend $8 on a pound of noodles, but I'm on vacation! Plus I think it will be worth it cooked up with some olive oil and garlic. YUM. I gorged on the Manzi, which is described as olive-brined boneless chicken breast, fontina cheese, garden basil, sun dried tomato and parmesan tapenade, white balsamic herb crema on a rosemary focaccia. To. Die For. If you're ever in Arizona, it's a must:

www.queencreekolivemill.com

After lunch, I felt like I couldn't move, I had had way too much to eat... but there was gelato... and I couldn't pass up gelato! There's always room. So I had a bit of salted caramel chip. And it's was heaven. 





I then had the opportunity to attend an NHL game! Off we were to have some fun and find husbands. Obviously : ) I had such a great time- special thanks to Angela who taught me what it was to be a true sports fan! Let's go 'yotes! (Did I say it right?) We even made it on tv! There was a pretty good fight right in front of us, which I enjoyed, and the camera caught us up in the corner, yay!

Had great seats, I mean... look at that view
Made friends with Howler
The day and time had finally come for he big trek to Sedona and the Grand Canyon! Up early, breakfast of champions, and the long ride to see the amazing sights! Warning- picture overload. But how can you not?

First stop... Sedona. The land of the red rocks, and apparently, a couple of Charlie Brown rocks! Can you tell which characters are here?

Who doesn't love a good sausage/egg/cheese?!
A desert road!!!
Bell Rock
Who do you see?
Who do you see?
There is also a church that seems to be etched right into the rocks- one of my Grammie's favorite sights.





Once heading through quite possibly the cutest little town you'd ever seen, we were off to the Grand Canyon! Also may I add, on the way there... we saw a tumbleweed! A real live rolling around in the desert tumbleweed! It was awesome, pretty much one of the highlights of the day. I told my cousins about it later and they all got a big kick out of me being so excited about a rolling ball of twigs and dust. Like I said before, I obviously don't get out much.

The Grand Canyon is just so unbelievable, it's hard to describe. It's one of those things that's hard to comprehend... like space! My pictures just don't do it justice, but I tried. It's just one of those things you stand in front of and don't know what to say- it seems to go on forever. One of my great aunts describes it as just a big hole in the ground. I guess she's technically right, but it's so much more than that. Seeing these rocks that are millions of years old was just incredible.


Yes, that's snow



Funny little tid bit on that last one. I asked my mom to take a picture of me with the canyon in the background and such and just as she was about to take the picture, my aunt spotted a squirrel literally inches from my body. At that moment, she caught this picture that perfectly captured my reaction. This also gave everyone in the family a good laugh, good to know I could be the entertainment!

On our way home we stopped by the ever famous Route 66! Seriously out of a small town movie, it was great! The street was filled with tiny shops and restaurants and it was just so cute! Making our way through Williams, we stopped for dinner at Cruisers Cafe 66 where I had one of the biggest yummiest burgers ever.




Our last couple days were reserved for just hanging around with the family and enjoying ourselves. Time for some cooking! My uncle made some FABULOUS steaks and I made a to die for mac and cheese that everyone raved about. Not to toot my own horn, but, toot toot. It was really really good. I got all caught up I didn't take a picture of it! But here's a picture of one I made not too long ago- looked pretty much the same. Closing out the day with some good ol games of cornhole in the street. This Pleasantville way of living doesn't seem like too bad of a deal!


How pretty are those?!
The following day, we went to a yummy diner- The Black Bear Diner, where I had some pretty bomb cinnamon roll french toast, I had my last In-N-Out for at least a little while, and then got down to business in the kitchen- it was boiled dinner night. I am not a big fan of corned beef, so I had steak, but apparently it's only a New England thing? Corned beef, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and parsnips all cooked together- we celebrated St. Patrick's day a bit early I suppose. It was a big hit with the westerners though, they ate it up like no tomorrow. My contribution to dinner was an apple pie and homemade salted caramel sauce. Sooooo good.





Sadly, our time in Arizona came to an end. Geared up for the red eye home that I did not sleep a wink through, we were off. Not too bad coming home to 50 degree temps though- can't complain too much. I think we were all ready to come home to some cooler weather, but Arizona isn't too bad of a place : )



Safe to say I'll definitely be heading back in the not too distant future. A HUGE thank you to my aunt Marie, uncle David and cousin Chris for putting us up in the amazing house... with the bed that I have named white velvet. Seriously like the most comfortable bed of all time. And more thanks to Angela, Kyle, Mike, Julie, Paige, Morgan, Fred, June, George, Heather, Rex, Sue, Michelle, Avery, Hazel, and Mama for making my first trip to Arizona a great one! 

-Meaghan

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your trip Meaghan. Sedona is so amazing! Did you experience the vortex? The Grand Canyon is just jaw dropping awesome place, takes your breath right away. I was surprised by how much I loved the area cause I think of myself as an ocean and green spaces kinda gal.

    ReplyDelete