Saturday, February 21, 2015

MEATLOAF!


That picture always cracks me up. Oh goodness. Ok, onto the meatloaf.

Meatloaf is another one of my favorite comfort food dishes and we go way back. As children we usually aren't very big fans of meatloaf, but we typically grow into it as adults. And if you don't, what's wrong with you? Your mom serve you hockey pucks or something? When you think about it though... it's kind of an odd food. A literal loaf of meat. Kind of grosses you out for a second, but once you get that thought out of your mind, you move onto the greatness that it is! This is another one of those dishes you can make a million different ways. Some people are turkey people, I'm a beef girl all the way. All kinds of other meat mixtures are used, different veggies, some people do the hard boiled egg thing. The possibilities are really endless! 

I always loved the way my mom cooked hers- seasoned meat then a layer of sauteed spinach, tomatoes, and garlic with some cheese, another layer of the seasoned meat, and then the same sauteed mixture on top. That's how I always remember having it and I still quite like that version. My dad makes his exactly like he makes meatballs- very yummy! The meat mixed with bread and all necessary herbs and spices. The meatloaf I make comes as a surprise to everyone that knows me, myself included. Why? Because it contains green peppers. And I hate green peppers. Goes to show you how good this really is! This recipe is from my Grammie, who got it from... Im not sure where. Probably a magazine? 

I have yet to find a meatloaf that tastes more comforting than this one, so try it out!

-1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (any fat content works, more fat is more grease to clean up though)
-1 sweet onion
-1 green pepper
-1 sleeve Saltine crackers 
-2 eggs
-3/4 cup ketchup (divide into 1/4 and 1/2 cup measurements)
-2 tbs brown sugar
-1 tbs Worcestershire sauce

1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Chop the onion and green pepper into small pieces and saute until soft and delicious (Side note- make sure you get all of the seeds out of the pepper, you don't want them floating all around in there anyway. Plus in my house growing up, if you were on pepper chopping duty and my dad found a seed... you are never to be trusted chopping peppers again. It's good to be a bit particular about things though, makes for a better end product. And now I'm the same way, you have to earn my trust with the peppers!) When these are done, set aside to cool a bit.
3. Smash up the saltines into crumbs, leave some pieces bigger though, give a little texture.
4. In a large bowl throw in your meat,  the slightly cooled onions and peppers, egg, saltines, 1/4 cup ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and some salt and pepper to your liking.
5. Wash your hands and get in that bad boy- Ina Garten always told me your hands are your best tool! Mix well enough to combine, but don't overmix. No one wants tough meat.  
6. Grab a baking dish, line with parchment paper, and plop your meat mixture into the pan and form it into an even loaf. (Or you can use a loaf pan, whatever works!)


7. Combine the remainder of your ketchup with the brown sugar, this will be a glaze! spread it on top of the loaf evenly. 
8. Pop it in the oven for about 1 hour, check at 50 minutes.
9. At the end of cooking switch the oven to a low broil to let that topping get all nice and bubbly. 
**Make sure you watch this carefully, very easy to burn! Only leave it under the broiler for a few minutes. When it starts to get darker in color and look like the most delicious molten lava you've ever seen, you're good.**
Look at those bubbles!
10. Let this sit for a few minutes to let the top set up, then dig in!



And of course, chose whatever sides you like! I always go for some gold 'ol rice or some pasta with garlic and oil. But I understand if you're a purist and stick with taders. The expression is, after all, meat and potatoes. 

This meatloaf is sweet, salty, meaty, crunchy, just all around good. So so ahead, make some meatloaf and cozy up on a cold winter night!

-Meaghan




No comments:

Post a Comment