Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Pie.

Pie. So simple, yet there are endless possibilities! There are the traditional ones like blueberry and other various fruits. Then you get into ones like pecan and pumpkin and all that jazz. Then if you're feeling fancy you can seek out some French dining and get yourself a meat pie, Tourtiere I believe it's called. You also have your pies with cream fillings like chocolate and lemon. Then you have my favorite kind of pie- pizza : ) The list goes on! I think what I'm trying to say is that you can basically make anything into a pie. I once had a dream about a peach and raspberry pie, I know, who dreams about pies? So the next day I had to make one. Follow your dreams kids, they might taste pretty darn good!

I admit... I'm not a huge fan of pie, unless it's almost all crust. Yes, I'm one of those people who pick off the crust and get the mom look of death when caught. But I do find other ways to enjoy it when I have to eat the whole slice... like in a milkshake, for example. Don't judge. I've seen it done on the Food Network and people love it. They love it!

I went on a trip to visit family recently and they let me use their amazing kitchen. My task was dessert and what do people like? Pie. So I decided to make my apple pie and then try my hand at a homemade salted caramel sauce. I was on a mission and no one could stop me!

-1 box Pillsbury pie crust: includes a top and bottom (I haven't perfected a crust yet, so this little ticklish guy does the trick)
-5 granny smith apples 
-1 lemon (zest and juice)
-3/4 cup white granulated sugar
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-2 tbs cinnamon (give or take- do it to your taste)
-2 tbs butter
-1 egg
-1 tsp salt

1. Preheat the oven to 350F
2. Peel and chop the apples into about 1 inch pieces. Personal preference really- you could leave them in slices or in segments. Whatever floats your boat. As you do this, be sure to keep the apple pieces tossed in lemon juice so they don't turn brown. *Because granny smith apples are being used, this pie will be a bit more tart. If you're looking for a sweeter pie, you could mix it up with other types of apples or just add more sugar.*
3. Into the apples, throw in your sugars, cinnamon, salt, and the zest. Mix well to combine. Test an apple to check for flavoring, add more sugar/salt/cinnamon to taste.
4. Get the crusts out and unroll them. There shouldn't be a need to roll them larger, they should fit fine for the pie, just don't overstuff it! If you do, you can always roll out the top to be a little larger.
5. Mold the bottom crust into a greased 10 inch pie shell.
6. Place the apples into the shell into an even layer.
7. Dot the top with little pieces of butter.
8. Place the top crust on and make a couple slits in the top to let the air escape.
9. Crimp the edges to seal it up! You can pinch with a fork or fold the edges over, or whatever you'd like, just make sure it's closed.
10. Crack the egg and brush over the top.
11. Sprinkle some extra sugar on the top for a bit more sweetness. You could add some cinnamon as well if you wanted.
12. Toss the pie into the oven for 35-45 minutes depending on your oven. You want the top to be golden brown and the insides to be bubbling.
13. Let sit for at least 10-15 minutes before digging in so things have some time to set up.


So, there's you pie! Now, to take it to the next level, you can make salted caramel sauce. That makes everything better!

-2 cups white granulated sugar
-1 cup heavy cream
-1 1/2 sticks butter
-1 tbs sea salt

1. In a medium heavy bottomed high sided sauce pot (cast iron would be ideal) put your sugar on medium heat.
2. Use a whisk to keep the sugar moving, you don't want this to burn and it can happen very quickly!
3. Might seem like it's doing a whole lot of nothing, it is, just keep the sugar moving. It might clump up on you or crystalize, but just keep it moving.
4. The sugar will start to melt slowly. You want it to get it to a light golden color. **If at any point you smell a burnt sugar smell, take off the heat but keep it moving, then return to the heat if it's not all dissolved.
5. As soon as you get to your desired color and all of the sugar is dissolved you can take it off the heat for good.
6. Into the sugar, place the butter. It will bubble up, just keep whisking.
7. Once the butter has melted and incorporated, pour the heavy cream in. It will bubble up again, just keep whisking.
8. Then throw in the salt.
9. Whisk well to combine.
*The caramel will be loose and thin right now because it's literally about a million degrees, but as it cools it will thicken and oh my lord will it taste good.
-Transfer to a heatproof bowl and you're good to serve it! Use it for your pie or to top off some ice cream or make some caramel popcorn with it!

So pies don't have to be big. You could use this same recipe and make little hand held pies! I made these ones and everyone pretty much thought they were the cutest things they had ever seen, well besides their children I'm sure. Desserts are good, but mini desserts? Get outta here! I used a round cookie cutter to make them uniform, but you can free hand it too. These would be perfect for a bake sale. I'll have to remember that if I ever have kids- I'll be the cool mom!


Even though I don't like to eat pie, I love to make it! And I know people enjoy it, so why not right? Maybe if I make it enough, I'll learn to like it. But for now, I'll stick to my horrible habit of eating just the crust. I'm also guilty of eating just the tops of apple crisps. Woops : )

-Meaghan




No comments:

Post a Comment