Tuesday, January 21, 2020

MAAA, THE (CHEESEBURGER) MEATLOAF!!

Meatloaf is one of my favorite things to eat and I'm not alone. It may be unpopular with the younger crowd, but it was once a staple in American dining! I'm convinced I was born in the wrong time, so that must be why I'm such a fan.

It's is so versatile, there are literally millions of recipes of different variations. Ok maybe not millions, but there are a lot! And I bet if you asked people how they made theirs, they will most likely be different from yours. For example, myself, my mother, and my father all have very different recipes of our basic meatloaf.

This version I dreamt up because of my obsession with all things cheeseburger and my desire to mix up my meatloaf game. Let me tell you, this doesn't disappoint. It's like a big mac meat loaf... how can this be wrong? Simple, it isn't. If this meatloaf isn't enough to make you throw on an apron, become an updated version of a 1950's housewife, and have your family actually want to be at the dinner table talking about their days... then I don't know what will!

-2-3 slices white bread: chopped
-1 sweet onion: chopped
-3/4 cup dill pickles: chopped
-1/4 cup ketchup- plus 1 Tsp for topping
-2 Tbs yellow mustard- plus 1 Tsp for topping
-1 cup iceberg lettuce: chopped
-2 Tbs whole milk
-2 Tbs sesame seeds- plus 1 Tsp for topping
-1 lb 80/20 ground beef
-4oz cheese: cubed (or any kind you want, I used Velveeta)
-4 slices bacon: cooked and chopped
-2 eggs

1. In a large bowl let the bread soak in the milk for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F.
3. Into the bread and milk, mix in the onion, pickles, ketchup, lettuce, mustard, sesame seeds, cheese, eggs, and bacon.
4. Next toss in the beef and combine everything. Try not to mess with the hamburg too much, it'll make it tough. Handle as little as possible, but still get everything worked in.
5. Grease a loaf pan or sheet pan if you want to free form like I did.
6. Toss the meatloaf into the pan and top with the extra ketchup, mustard, and sesame seeds.
7. When the oven has come to temperature, pop it in and cook for 40-50 minutes, broiling at the end to get the top nice and crisp.

Done! It's so easy!


I’ll give fair warning, this isn’t the cutest dish, but meatloaf isn’t supposed to be pretty, it’s supposed to be delicious and comforting! And there’s a reason why it’s been around since the beginning of time... she’s got a personality : )

Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment