Wednesday, August 7, 2019

The Meg.

The Meg... that movie with the big shark, right? Wrong. This is the real version, the untold story, the one and only... The Meg.

Of course it's a sandwich.

I was invited to a BBQ over the weekend and was toying around with what to bring. There's always so much food, but I need to make sure I tip it over the edge, as per usual. There was going to be your BBQ staples already so I was thinking, why not something different. Then it hit me- a sandwich! Make my own version of a Muffaletta- The Meg. Megaletta, if you will : ) Because I don't really love some of the traditional Muffaletta innards, I reworked things to my liking, feel free to do the same! Basically you'll need some meats, cheeses, something briny (an olive tapenade, for example), and a good loaf of bread. Other than that, go crazy, go on with your bad self.

To all you purists out there, look away.

The Sandwich
-1 14oz can artichoke hearts (8-10 count)
-2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
-6 slices provolone cheese, sliced thin
-8 slices genoa salami, sliced thin
-6 slices ham, sliced thin
-10-15 cherry tomatoes
-2 ft loaf of bread (you can make a smaller one if you want, but why? I used a good crusty French loaf. Make sure whatever you use, it's a hearty bread that can take some oil.)
-3 cloves garlic

The Marinade
-3/4 cup olive oil
-1/2 white wine vinegar (or any other type of vinegar with a good bite to it)
-6 cloves roasted garlic
-1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
-1/4 tsp whole peppercorns
-1/2 tsp kosher salt


*THE NIGHT BEFORE*

(The Marinade)
1. In a small sauce pan, warm the olive oil, roasted garlic (give them a little squish), red pepper, peppercorns, salt, and lemon pepper- do not boil, just warm through.
2. Take off the heat and set aside for now.
3. Take your artichokes and cut them into quarters, if not already, and put them in a container with an air tight lid.
4. When the oil has cooled a bit, stir in the vinegar. You can adjust the amount you use depending on your taste. I like it more on the vinegary side, so I use a lot.
5. Pour the marinade over the artichokes and store in the fridge overnight.

(The Tomatoes)
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place on a sheet pan lined with tin foil.
3. Roughly chop the garlic and toss in with the tomatoes.
4. Lightly drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
5. Once the oven has reached temperature, roast until soft and caramelized, about 10-15 minutes.
6. Place in a container and into the fridge overnight.

*THE DAY OF*

1. Roughly chop your marinated artichokes, set aside.
2. Cut your bread in half long ways so you have top and bottom pieces.
3. On the top and bottom, drizzle some of the marinating liquid from the artichokes right onto the bread.
4. On the bottom piece, squish and spread the roasted tomatoes.
5. On top of that, place the shredded iceberg. Salt and pepper.
6. On top of that, lay the cheese, then the ham, then the salami, and carefully top with nice big spoon fulls of the artichokes.
7. Place the top piece on and give it a good squish.
8. Tightly wrap in cling wrap or aluminum foil and place in the fridge. Depending on the integrity of your bread and how much oil you put on there, leave for a few hours or overnight- let the flavors get to know each other!
9. Slice into the pieces you want and devour!



After making this for the first time, some things I'm learning- I picked a bread with too much "bread" in my opinion, so I think next time I'd like to try this with a baguette! And I think I would have done maybe more than one layer of the meats and cheeses, but that's just me : ) Over all, it was reallyyyyyy good and flavorful and it was a hit!

Who doesn't love a good sandwich? Joey Tribbiani would be proud.

Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment