Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A Twist on a Quesadilla

Quesadillas are not something I grew up with, we were more of a meat and potatoes kind of family. My love for the quesadilla didn't start until college where the chef at the grill made the most delicious quesadilla I've ever had to this day. I'm not one for fancy ones either- give me some cheese and maybe some chicken and I'm a happy camper. 

HOWEVER. I saw something today while browsing the interwebs that totally blew my mind and I HAD to try it. Are you ready for this? Chicken pot pie quesadilla. Ohmygod. The recipe I saw used some short cuts and some ingredients I'm not crazy about so it may seem like I'm doing a lot of work for a quesadilla, but I think it will be worth it. I'm only making one so feel free to add, subtract, and change the ingredients as you like!

-2 burrito sized flour tortillas
-1 small carrot (diced into small pieces)
-1/2 small onion (diced into small pieces)
-1/2 cup broccoli florets (chopped)
-1/4 cup shredded chicken
-4oz cream cheese (softened)
-1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese (or your choice of good meting cheese)

1. Leave the cream cheese out to come to room temperature- you want this very soft. 
2. Peel and dice the carrot and onion into small pieces.
3. In a sauté pan on medium heat and in a bit of butter, sauté the carrot, onion, and broccoli together until they are soft and yummy. Throw in the chicken near the end to give it a little color.
4. When the veggies are done to your liking, combine with the cream cheese and the Monterey Jack. Mix well to combine.
5. Give a large sauté pan on medium high heat a spritz of cooking spray and throw in the first tortilla in the pan.
6. Spread the filling onto the tortilla. 
7. Top with the second tortilla. 
8. Once you have a nice golden color on the bottom and the cheese starts to melt, go ahead and flip it- be careful! 
9. Cook on the second side until the cheese is all melted and the bottom is golden, you're done!

Cut your pieces and you're good to go! 

Food mash ups are becoming pretty trendy right now, but this is the first I've heard of this one. Out of the box and so delicious! This is also a really customizable dish, I don't like peas, so no peas! But usually people keep chicken pot pie pretty traditional. Give this a try though, it can be fun to play around with your food! Take that Marie Calendar.





-Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment