Saturday, February 27, 2016

Breakfast Pizza

A conversation I heard in the elevator today put me over the edge. The edge of hunger. The talk was between two women, one who made me feel great about my craving, and another who made me feel like a heifer waiting for the feed truck to roll around. I'll side with the one who made me feel good about my life choices. Breakfast pizza was on my mind and I wasn't going to stop until I got it! Apparently what they serve in the cafeteria at work is a piece of tastebud art, but I think I can one up it. 

Anyone who knows me knows I love a good pizza. Breakfast pizza is no exception. Like a normal pizza, you can put whatever you want on it. The world is your pickle, my friend! But I'm also a pretty simple eater- my favorite consists of egg, sausage, and cheese for days. You can dress this up for a brunch or dress it down as a personal pan- table for one please! For my pizza for one, I use a dough ball the size of my palm. I also have a Barbie-sized oven soooo I can't make anything big anyway. I call it my diet oven. 

It's not the quickest breakfast, but since when is quickness the only thing that makes something attractive?! Put the work in, it's worth it. Am I right? It also has a great personality. 

-Palm sized dough ball
-2 eggs
-1/4 cup breakfast sausage 
-1/2 cheese

1. Place your dough ball on a lightly floured surface to come to room temperature. 
2. Crack your eggs into a small bowl and whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. In a small sautĂ© pan on medium heat, cook up the breakfast sausage. (Tip: I buy the pre cooked sausage and brown it in a pan. Saves so much time!) When the sausage is done, set aside on a paper towel.
4. In the same pan on medium heat, scramble up the eggs. When those are done, set aside for later.
5. Preheat the oven to 400F.
6. The dough should be at room temperature by now- roll it to the desired thickness. Make sure you use flour- don't want anything sticking!
7. Dribble a little olive oil on a sheet tray so nothing sticks. This also gives the bottom a nice crunch.
8. Brush the excess flour off the dough and place on the sheet tray. 
Time to assemble! 
9. Brush a thin layer of olive oil on top of the dough and season with salt and pepper. 
10. Sprinkle half of the cheese on the dough.
11. Scatter the scrambled egg over the dough. It might not look like enough, but when this bakes, the eggs puff up and spread out- don't worry.
12. Toss on the breakfast sausage.
13. Pile on the remaining cheese. Not going to lie, I'm pretty sure I used more than a half of a cup of cheese so go on with your bad self and coat that baby. I used Monterey Jack, but feel free to use your favorite cheeses!
14. Once the oven has reached temperature, place the pan on the middle rack.
15. Set your timer for 10 minutes. **It's important to note, every oven is different, so keep an eye on it just in case. 
16. When you're happy with the pizza, pull it out and feast! 





I'm a fan of some ketchup with my breakfast pizza, but if you're a purist,just go in for the kill. Something else you could try would be that in place of the "sauce" you could make a little sausage gravy! Or just a simple bĂ©chamel, or even a ketchup base.  And remember, you can do whatever you want! Peppers, onions, ham, bacon, egg whites (but if you're going to eat a pizza, might as well eat the whole egg!), mushrooms, whatever! 

Top it off with some good ol coffee and you've got yourself a nice weekend breakfast to impress. Please note, this makes great breakfast in bed, I've done the research. It will also taste just as great lounging on the couch watching your favorite cooking shows.

-Meaghan


No comments:

Post a Comment