Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Chicken? Waffles? A Sandwich? OH MY.

Something inside of two other somthings can never be bad. Especially when it has all kinds of other somethings all up in it! What am I talking about?! I have made my first chicken and waffles sandwich. And it was heavenly. So. Heavenly. 

I never understood the chicken and waffles obsession, maybe because I hadn't heard of the combination until a couple years ago? Is it because I'm from the north? Who knows. But the point is, I know about it now and I'm forever a changed woman. To my understanding it's pretty much a waffle with some fried chicken and maple syrup, but I guess things have gotten quite fancy with the dish. Taking my love of sandwiches into consideration, this was a no brainer. I had to first get over my extreme fear of deep frying chicken... ok so I didn't get over it, I pan fried the suckers. Still, it was just as great I'm sure. Then I had to think about toppings! So I went pretty basic with Monterey Jack cheese, bacon, and pickles. Have to have the pickles in there duh. 

Since I'm pretty sure we all know how to fry up a piece of chicken, or bake some? Or grill some? The world is your pickle, do what you want. I won't go through the steps of that. And I'm quite sure we all can cook some bacon. I'll get to the waffles. Ohhhh the waffles. I'm a lover of waffles. 

-1 cup flour
-2 tbs sugar
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 cup milk
-2 eggs
-1/2 stick (4 tbs) melted butter

1. Get a bowl and dump it all in!
2. Whisk it up! Careful not to overmix, just get it so that the lumps are gone. Lumps are... whisky business, after all.
3. This is the time where you get our waffle iron out. The temperature and cook time of the waffles isn't up to me, it's up to your waffle iron's manufacturer's instructions. So read up!
4. Once you've got the basics down, preheat your waffle iron.
5. Once that comes to temperature, brush some butter on the top and bottom plates. Good luck trying not to make a mess. It will happen.
6. Once the time is up, mine only took a few minutes, carefully take the waffle out and rebutter so that the next waffle can cook. Repeat until your batter is gone. Yum.

Now is your time to dress it up and send it to prom! As I stated earlier, my choice of toppings were some cheese, bacon, and pickles. You can make this into an open faced sandwich or and actual sandwich... or a waffle taco!*Warning... when making this into an actual sandwich... get napkins. Lots of napkins. Then plan on taking a shower, because gosh darn this is a messy, but DELICIOUS dish.**

You're done! Another word to the wise, my kitchen was a complete disaster after this so that wasn't fun, but I'm pretty sure the taste is worth it. The sweetness of the waffles and syrup is quite the complement to the saltiness of the chicken and my other toppings. Have I mentioned that salty and sweet is my favorite? 

Anyway, this will be a sure way to impress guests or the tastiest snack after a long night of... being out, you'll ever have. Now that I think about it though, I don't suggest operating a stove or a waffle iron after a night of... being out on the town... so just make this to impress your friends, your special someone, or just yourself : )


#ThatDripTho

Enjoy!

-Meaghan



No comments:

Post a Comment