Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Baked Doughnuts? Yay or Nay?

I admit, doughnuts may be some of the most delicious things ever. So when I saw that people baked them, I always had this preconceived notion that they were heavy, dense, and cake-like. I have a mini doughnut pan that I haven't used yet for these exact reasons.

One of my nieces had asked me to do some baking so she could document it in her scrapbook. I then thought, oh maybe this is the perfect time to break out my tin!

I searched high and low for a good recipe and I found a simple enough one and it seemed legit, so we took a chance and used it! And I have to tell you... my mind was blown. These were the softest, lightest, and maybe the yummiest doughnuts I've had. Nothing can beat a good old glazed doughnut, fried in the fattiest of all oils, but these were seriously tasty!

-1/2 cup flour                             -1/2 tsp white vinegar
-6 tbs sugar                                 -1 egg
-1/4 tsp salt                                 -1/4 tsp vanilla extract
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/3 cup vegetable oil
-1/4 cup milk


1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, preferably one with a spout, combine the oil, milk, vinegar, egg, and vanilla. *This may look completely wrong because the milk and vinegar don't exactly mesh well, but it's fine, I promise.*
4. Mix the dry into the wet! Don't stir too much, but incorporate it enough to get lumps out.
5. Take your doughnut tin and grease it well with butter. *Even if it's a non stick pan, I suggest breaking out your inner Paula Deen and slather that butter on. If anything, you'll get some good flavor out of it!
6. Pour the mixture into the tins, filling the molds to just under the rim.
7. Once the oven has come to temperature, bake for 12-13 minutes for normal sized doughnuts or 10-11 minutes for mini doughnuts.
8. Once They are a light yellow/golden color take the tins out and test the doughnut with a skewer just to be sure it comes out clean. When you're satisfied with the doneness, you're all set!
9. Let these cool for a few minutes in the pan and then turn out onto a cooling rack.

Now you're done! Have some fun with them. What's your favorite doughnut? Well, now you don't have to travel to get one, you can make it yourself : ) We went for a few different options- Nutella, because what basic girl doesn't love a little Nutella in their lives? Glazed, obviously. Cinnamon sugar- quick tip, because these are baked and not fried, the cinnamon sugar mixture may not stick as well. Solution? Let Paula Deen come out and play again and melt some butter. Dip the doughnuts in and then have them roll around in the cinnamon sugar! Lastly, a salted caramel clustery one. Can't go wrong.

These little delights are a really fun thing to be adventurous with. Also a good thing to get your kids in the kitchen with you because they are fun and what kid doesn't want doughnuts?! Make these for a party of many or a party of one... like me... on my couch... late at night. Go on and have fun with it!


 
 
 
-Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment