Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Try The World- Paris

Ahhh Paris, the city of lights, city of love, the city of confusing subway systems, and the home of that scary homeless woman who kicked me out of my seat... but that's a story for a another day.

My Try the World Paris box was delivered and I'm a happy camper! I've actually been to Paris so I'm excited to see what's in this box that maybe I've actually come across.

First off, again, the box is so pretty and well put together.
Second... let's dig in!




*Le Saunier De Camargue
-4.4oz retails for $11.95
-This is the one thing in the box that I was by far the most excited about. I love playing with salt and I've never tried Fleur de Sel. You see it all the time with yummy things and I can't wait to use it. My first mission... learn how to make caramels and they will be topped with Fleur de Sel! Salted caramel is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. You could always use this in your cooking instead of kosher salt, but I feel like this product may deserve to be shown off as a garnish. YUM. Plus it's too expensive to just throw in a dish- show it off! The information card lets me know it's cultivated by hand using tried and true methods from centuries back. There are no chemical treatments or additives so you know you're getting a great product and because of the labor intensive nature of it, Fleur de Sel is one of the most exclusive finishing salts! Plus look at this packaging! C'est magnifique! 


*Francois Doucet Candied Fruit Bar
-I can't find much on these, but what I can find- for a package of five bars it runs around $30. 
-What came in my box was a raspberry and apricot. I knew that my dad would really like these so I let him give them a try- always nice to have a surprise treat! He ate them right away and he said they were excellent. I swear, I've never heard the man say something was so good in the tone that he did about these bars. They must have been excellent  The information card tells me that these treats date back to 10th century France! They come in a variety of flavors, they are all natural, and come from an antique recipe. Made simplely from pure fruit pulp and sugar, they can be enjoyed by everyone... unless your're very diabetic, probably shouldn't indulge too much! 


*Mystery Treat! Sables Shortbread by La Mere Poulard
-Different sized packages ranging from $4-$20
-I'm telling you... shortbread cookies are ranked very high on my cookie list. I LOVE shortbread. So when I saw these cookies I dove right in. And oh. My. Goodness. These cookies just seemed to melt in your mouth but are so crisp at the same time. It tasted like I was eating baked blocks of butter so velvety it would make Paula Deen jealous. These cookies are said to be in the works since 1888 from Mont Saint-Michel (a place I am DYING to visit at least once in my life if possible- it's really very cool and beautiful. Do some research!) Mrs. Poulard herself was known for feeding these cookies to pilgrims passing through the medieval cathedral on the island. A++ from me. All. The. Way.


*Truffettes De France Chocolate Truffles
-I couldn't find a price on these, everywhere I'm looking they are unavailable- sorry!
-I was super excited to see these, however, it was short lived. I popped one of these babies and I quickly wished I hadn't. The information card says these are all natural and sustainably grown, and well, they sadly tasted like they indeed came from the ground. I suppose the taste isn't for everyone, but it was clearly a very dark and bitter chocolate bring used to make these and they had a bit of another funky taste I couldn't really put my finger on. But this one was a bust, sadly. But I must say, it was a very well made truffle! Very dense and chocolatey with that signature light dusting of cocoa powder. Funny story, my sister made truffles once for a family gathering an one of my nephews thought it was a doughnut hole. Let's just say he was surprised, but maybe you had to be there. It was hilarious. 


*Maison D'Armorine Salted Butter Caramels
-$19.95 for a 7oz container
-These are winners in my book. I loooove caramel. Salted caramel? Get outta hereeeee. SO GOOD. These caramels are soft and sweet and have that salty flavor that hits you after. Good caramels are hard to come by, I have a hard time finding ones that don't pull your teeth out or leave you chewing for days and these are perfection! The information card tells the story of how this family recipe was born in the summer of 1946 when the French celebrated the return to the beach in Brittany. If biting into one of these is like being on the beach in Brittany, give me my sunglasses, suit, and some caramels please. 


*Domaine Des Vignes Whole Grain Mustard
-Retails for around $5.00 for a 7oz jar
-I'm a growing fan of mustard. When I saw this I got super excited! You can use mustard in so many things- in dressings, for meat rubs- oh that ham! On sandwiches... the list goes on. Whole grain mustard to me is sweet and kind of hot at the same time, crunchy and smooth, sweet and salty. There are so many different uses for mustard I'm sure you can find one. I use it a lot when making my macaroni and cheese- YUM. 


*Charles Antona Minna Organic Jam- Fig and Walnut
-8.8oz retails for $6.95
-I'm not a fan of fig, but I know my parents are, so this is another treat for them. I have yet to find out if they have tried it, but it looks pretty! And if I liked figs, fig and walnut sounds like a really interesting flavor combination! The information card let me know that the jams are all 100% organic and from Minna's (Grandma's) antique recipes. The preserves are from the Mediterranean and one bite promises to transport you! Book me a trip! 


Overall, I'm really impressed with this box. I may not have loved every single bit of it, but I felt it was a really good representation of the regions in France. My favorites by far were the caramels and Fleur de Sel. Hands down. The other thing that really impressed me was the packaging. I'm a big fan of that first impression and everything was so pretty and enticing! I felt I definitely got my money's worth on this box as well, which is always good to know. Well done Paris box, well done!

Meaghan







No comments:

Post a Comment