Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Try The World- Marrakech

Amount a month ago I'm just chillin, scrolling through Facebook when I see a suggested ad for a subscription box called Try The World. Now, I'm not a fan of the ads so I usually pass them by, but this one sounded like it was right up my alley! So a quick click and I was hooked.

Try The World is a subscription box that's delivered every other month and every box is a different city around the world. Inside, it's filled with goodies! Different food and culture bits and bobs from the select city.

Ordering the box was entirely too easy and felt dangerous, and danger is my middle name. Just kidding, it's Elizabeth. To sweeten the pot, I got in on an offer of getting a Paris box for free, but I'm still waiting on that one.

Some basics- it's a subscription box you get every other month. You can get a single box, a six month subscription to get three boxes, or a year subscription to get six boxes. As it goes with a lot of these things, the longer you buy the subscription for, the lower the prices per box goes. I decided to go with the six month subscription, so it works out to be about $35 per box. I wasn't sure if it was too much, but you get pretty good sized products. I'm interested to see the value of these things! You also get the typical information card with all the deets on the products and a culture guide about the select city with different movies, music, and uses for the goodies you have just received! And Free shipping! YAY! And you cancel any time. Let's get into this! 

So on this particular day, it was a Monday. Typical Monday, not a fun day at work, it had been pouring rain all day so I looked like an extremely unattractive wet dog (the visual is killing you, I know), I had to go to the store and buy junk food to make my day better, and I had a hot date with my couch for the night. I saw the package on my door step and I thought my roommate had ordered something because I didn't remember getting anything- my email was clear of tracking numbers! SURPRISE it's for me! My day then got a bit brighter. I quickly shuffled myself inside out of the elements so rip open my Christmas in April package.

First off, this box is so pretty and sturdy, impressive.
Second... the colors are just so lovely! Anddddd it was packaged so nicely! The products were packed right and tight so no moving around for these babies. Which is good, because there was a lot of glass in the box.



These colors! Am I right?!
*Dip&Scoop Culinary Argan Oil
-3.4oz retails for $24.99
-This is an oil handmade in Southwestern Morocco by Berber women. This company sources the oil in a way that the argan tree will be sustained while preventing the growth of deforestation. The card also indicates that this oil is the product of a family run business, supports the local community, and is organic. Suggestions for this product include, but are not limited to, topping off fish dishes, veggies, and salads. 


*Titus Sardines
-125g is full size. Retails for different amounts, but generally a few bucks. I mean... it's just fish in a can!
-Did you know that sardines are en excellent source of protein, vitamin D, B12, and that Morocco is the largest exporter of canned sardines in the world? Well, now you do! These little babies packed in oil can be incorporated into a ton of dishes- I've seen them replace anchovies in the traditional caesar dressing. The card suggests you'll be hooked enough to eat them right out of the can... I wouldn't go that far. I'm not a fan of fish so these will be making their way into my dad's pantry for him to enjoy.


*Orientines Croquants
-150g retails for around $6.50
-I was most excited for these little treats, I'm a fan of pretty much everything orange. So when I tore into them, I was kind of put off by the look. They looked and felt like little dog treats. BUT what have we been taught forever and ever? Don't judge a book by it's cover. This cookie tastes exactly like a mix of a butter cookie and a shortbread cookie flavored with lots of orange. Very yummy! The card suggests to these make a good pairing with tea. I'll skip the tea and just bring them to work for my 2pm hunger pains. 


*Kefta Rub by Villa Jerada
-50g retails for $14.95
-This spice rub is intended to trasport you to traditional Morocco through the smells and taste of this authentic spice blend of cumin, paprika, morita pepper, mint, coriander, cilantro, and cinnamon. It's suggested to use for lamb, beef, or chicken. This rub is an antique recipe as well as a helper in supporting the community. I don't think I'll be using this one for myself- in my personal opinion, it smells quite horrible and I'm not a fan of pretty much everything that's in it. So this can be a gift for someone who will appreciate it more!


*Dari Organic Couscous
-350g retails for $4.50
-When I think of couscous I think of quinoa. It has very similar uses and tastes. Couscous is rich in potassium, fiber, and antioxidants among other things- it's like a superfood! You can eat it with everything: pretty much every kind of meat, veggie, salads, breakfast, lunch, and dinner! It promises to transform any meal into an authentic Moroccan experience. I haven't had couscous in forever. I used to have it while at one of my best friend's houses I remember- we would have it with Italian dressing. Very classy kids, I know. But I'm excited to have this one and try the topping jar I got as well with maybe some chicken!


*Tajini Couscous Sauce
-400g retails for $5.95
-This product came from the founder's mother-in-law's recipes and his mission to create easy sauces to add authentic flavors to your dishes. In creating this, it supports local farmers and is sustainably grown as well as organic. 


That's the box! From what I'm calculating it's valued at around $50+/-. Pretty good deal for paying $35! Now I must admit, Middle Eastern cuisine isn't my entire cup of tea, but I can definitely find some uses for this stuff. The sardines will go to my dad, no thank you. The spice rub peaked the interest of my roommate- knock yourself out Josh, I'm all set with that. The rest I'm going to play around with andddd I'm excited! 

The culture guide included listed a few recipes for different authentic dishes, a list of some Marrakech music and a Moroccan movie list! If you ever want to have a little theme night, whip up some Kefta, pop in Casablanca, and have yourself an 'ol fashioned good time!

I'm super excited to see what my other boxes will bring, stay tuned!

Meaghan



No comments:

Post a Comment