Thursday, January 1, 2015

First Day of the Year...

...Might as well eat pasta!

Well it's the first day of 2015 and people are like "I'm going to the gym!", "I'm eating my veggies!", "I'm not going to be such a gossip!". Let me tell you, none of that sounds very appealing to me at the moment. I'm tired, hungover, and tired... I know, I said it twice. I want to lay on my couch, watch Entourage, and eat. So far this year, I've done everything I said I was going to do- yessss. So dinner time is coming around and I want to be cooking something yummy, pasta it is!

Pasta is easily my favorite meal. Ever. It's so easy, simple, cheap, and versatile! I have a few tried and true dishes that always do the trick. I'm kind of a pasta snob- don't make a face, you know you are too. So to preface my post, I usually only like to cook with Barilla pasta and if I'm using a jar of sauce as a starter, it's Ragu Traditional. Anything else, Im not all that interested. 

Just call me Maria Von Trapp because here are a few of my favorite things!

Angel Hair with Oil and Garlic:
-1 lb angel hair 
-5 large cloves garlic
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1 tbs butter

1. Fill a large stock pot with water, place on high heat, and wait for the boil.
2. When water is at a rolling boil- throw a handful of salt to season the water, then toss your pasta in. Stir frequently so that is does not stick together.
3. While the pasta is cooking away, chop the garlic finely.
4. In a small skillet on medium high heat, pour in the oil, butter, and garlic. 
5. It's important to watch the garlic- you don't want it raw, but too burnt is not a good ime either. Once you see the garlic on the cusp of turning golden, take off the heat and set aside, it will continue to cook.
6. Once your pasta is done to your liking, drain well.
7. Return the pasta back to the stock pot or a serving bowl, mix the oil/butter/garlic into the pasta, and enjoy!

Tip to the wise, two garlics cancel each other out so... if you want to make this for a date night you're in the clear!




Linguine with Stew Beef:
I'm not a huge fan of meat sauce, I think it changes the flavor of the sauce too much. But when I do have meat sauce, it has to be stew beef. This sauce cooks so long it makes the beef breakdown in amazing ways and infuses the flavor like crazy. Unlike chicken or even ground beef, this thickens the sauce and gives it a deep flavor that's hard to match. I usually bring this one out in the colder months, very good comfort food for the cold New England nights!

-1 lb linguine 
-1 lb stew beef
-1 large jar of your favorite pre made pasta sauce 
-1 medium sweet onion

1. About 4 hours prior to the time you'd like to eat, break out a medium sized sauce pot. 
2. Dice your onion.
3. Pat the stew beef dry and season with salt and pepper.
4. On medium high heat in a couple tablespoons of olive oil, carefully place your stew beef into the oil. You're looking to get a good sear on the meat- not looking to cook it all the way through. Brown all sides of the meat and remove from the pan for now, set aside. 
5. Put a few more drops of oil in the pan and throw the onions in there to saute up.  This will also loosen up any of the yummy little bits left over from the meat.
6. Once the onions are soft and translucent, set the heat to low.
7. Place the stew beef back into the pot with the onions as well as your jar of sauce. 
8. Mix thoroughly to incorporate the ingredients and throw a lid on it.
9. Let the sauce simmer for 3 hours stirring frequently- this will stick like nobody's business! *Side note, this is a messy dish, the sauce splatters everywhere- just clean up as you go.
10. Once the meat has gotten tender and the seasoning is to your liking, give it a good stir and remove from the heat- keep the cover on.
11. Bring a large stockpot of water to boil.
12. Once you've got a good rolling boil going, add salt to the water to season.
13. Throw the pasta in the water and cook to your liking or follow the directions on the box if you're unsure.
14. For the last few minutes of the pasta cooking, put the sauce back onto the heat to heat through again. Remember to stir!
15. Once the pasta is done, drain well and add the sauce. *I suggest not adding the stew beef to the pasta as it will most likely fall apart on you. Add the stew beef after plating.


This one is a good one to eat in your best and most comfortable pajamas... not that I have or anything. It's just a good dish to get cozy with.
Now I want ice cream. Great. 

-Meaghan 

No comments:

Post a Comment