Sunday, February 9, 2020

It's Almost Valentine's Day, How 'Bout A Quickie?

This has got to be the quickest, most decadent thing I've made in a... very long time.

Lately I've been feeling the need to be bad. It's almost Valentine's day so why not? Of course, my version of being bad means indulging in something horrible for me, but delicious. What did you think?

I recently saw a video online showcasing some drinking chocolate. Now, I love hot chocolate as much as the next person. Only made with milk, if you make hot chocolate with water... who hurt you? But Even with milk, it's still too thin for me. I need something thick and luscious, the stuff dreams are made of. The idea of making the perfect drinking chocolate sent me into a tailspin searching the internet high and low. I wasn't liking what I was seeing though. Corn starch in hot chocolate? Something about that makes me feel off. I finally decided to take a few recipes and combine them into what I was hoping would give me that internal hug I so desired. 

Believe me when I tell you... this drinking chocolate is something I have NEVER experienced before. The second you take the first sip it seems to coat your lips and throat with the silkiest, creamiest, most beautiful chocolate. I have to stop, I'm starting to feel things. Warning, I needed a big glass of ice cold water after this, some people might need a cigarette. It's that good. 

Anyway... make it!

This recipe makes enough for a couple of mugs. Or if you're like me... one big mug : ) and takes no longer than 10 minutes. The perfect quickie of a recipe! 

The Recipe:
-8oz of your favorite smooth chocolate bar (I'm a sucker for milk)
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-1 1/3 cups whole milk
-1 Tbs brown sugar
-1 Tsp vanilla extract
-1/4 Tsp cinnamon 
-Pinch of salt

1. In a sauce pan on low heat, break up the chocolate and drop in the rest of the ingredients. 
2. Stir until it all melts together.
3. Turn up the heat to a medium low, don't want things to burn! Still stirring! 
4. Let the mixture come to a simmer, watch out it doesn't boil over. I had to take mine on and off the heat to prevent this, keep stirring! 
5. After 5 minutes or so, the mixture will start to thicken right up.

You're done! If it gets too thick, add a bit more milk. If it's not thick enough, let the mixture simmer a bit more- don't forget to stir! The longer it sits, the thicker it gets though, so don't let looks deceive you.

This picture does no justice, but it's amazing.

When I sat down and started to sip this, I closed my eyes and I felt as though I was plopped in the middle of the French Alps inside some beautiful lodge with a roaring fire and some handsome Hallmark man next to me. Instead,  I opened my eyes, looked around, and I was just in my living room covered in napping cats... alone. But it's nice to dream. And this drinking chocolate can definitely take you there. 

Careful, it's addicting. 

Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment