Wednesday, March 6, 2019

French Onion Soup Chicken Bake... Literally A Mouth Full

Stop the presses, extra extra, read all about it, and all that jazz. This dish is BEYOND delicious. and I'm already dreaming of when I'll make it next.

While rotating through my many cooking shows I watch, I came across a version of this dish and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. So what happens when I obsess over a food? I must try to make it... as soon as possible. 

This, is my journey.

-3 large sweet onions
-2 cloves garlic
-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
-1 cup beef broth
-1/4 tsp fresh thyme (or just a pinch of the dried stuff)
-4 tbs olive oil divided
-2 tbs butter
-4 oz Emmenthaler cheese (or any other good melting Swiss cheese- Gruyere!)
-Salt and pepper

1. Slice the onions thinly into half moons, finely chop the garlic, and set aside.
2. In a large heavy bottomed oven safe skillet (I used an enameled cast iron braiser) on medium high heat, warm 2 tbs olive oil.
3. Salt and pepper the chicken thighs and cook completely in the skillet. Remove and set aside.
4. Lower the heat to medium low and add the rest of the olive oil and butter to the pan along with the onions, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. You're looking to caramelize the onions so you'll be cooking these for a while... like 45 minutes, low and slow. Keep at it though, stirring and browning until the onions are very cooked down and caramelized.
5. Add the thyme to the onion mixture.
6. Shred the cheese and set aside.
7. When the onions are just about there, set your oven to broil.
8. Add the broth to the onions and bring to a simmer.
9. Nestle the chicken into the onions and broth.
10. Cover the dish with all that beautiful cheese.
11. Pop the pan under the broiler until the cheese melts and gets bubbly- 2-3 minutes. **Watch carefully though, don't burn it!**

ENJOY!





Even though this dish is completely amazing on its own, I put the chicken and onions over pasta because pasta is a part of my soul. But you could easily put it over potatoes, rice, or even veggies- roasted broccoli or Brussel sprouts would be delish!

This may take some time to throw together and as my roommate so dearly put it "smells like feet" when it's cooking, but it's so worth it and it doesn't taste like feet, I promise! Especially if you don't feel like a soup and want something with some substance, it's perfect. Warm, comforting, sweet, and so satisfying it'll leave you saying "Who needs a man when you have this!!". 

Meaghan


No comments:

Post a Comment