Sunday, April 17, 2016

Lonely Girl Pancakes

I want pancakes and it's a table for one, as per usual. What's a girl to do?! I'm not fond of the box mix, although it is good in a pinch, and I don't want to make pancakes for an army. I was in search for a good recipe that will only give me a couple cakes. I suppose I could find a recipe with many servings and do the math to cut it down, but ain't nobody go time for that. I did some looking around and came up with what I thought was the best recipe with some added goodness of course, also as per usual.

Before I started, I had a little bit of a dilemma. This craving hit me all of a sudden and I really didn't want to leave the house to go to the store for the second time today. I thought I was good, until I realized I didn't have any milk. I found a work around, but milk always trumps, just keep that in mind!

-1/2 cup all purpose flour
-1 1/2 tsp sugar
-1 tsp baking powder
-Pinch of salt
-1 egg
-1/2 cup water *I made a little adjustment. a little less than 1/2 cup of water and topped off with hazelnut coffee creamer. But to avoid this mess, get some milk will ya?*
-1 1/2 tbs butter, melted
-1 tsp lemon zest
-1/4 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
2. Into the dry ingredients, mix in the egg, water, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
3. Whisk whisk whisk- no lumps! 
4. In a skillet on medium-low heat, melt a touch of butter.
5. Here's where you can do what you want, make one big pancake, or a couple smaller ones, or even those baby ones. I'm a fan of the stack, so a stack it shall be! 
6. The general rule is wait to flip when you see a lot of bubbles. Personally, I think that's too much. I like them soft and almost underdone in the middle. Medium rare, if you will. So when I see the first sign of bubbles, I flip.
7. Cook a minute or so on the other side and you're done! 
8. Finish the cakes off however you'd like- I went for some chopped strawberries. But you can really make them your own- straight up butter, syrup, chocolate chips, fruit, cocoanut, peanut butter, caramel, nuts, broccoli... maybe not that last one, but you get the picture.









So go ahead and set your table for one, pop in a chick flick, and cry about it. Just kidding, just enjoy some alone time : ) 

...of course you can do the whole chick flick thing if you want. I may or may not have watched Pride and Prejudice. Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy can call on me any time. Just saying. 

-Meaghan

No comments:

Post a Comment