Tuesday, December 2, 2014

First Thing's First...

Thought my first post would be a yummy one!

As I sit here waiting for my laundry to be finished so I can quickly slip into warm pj pants, I'm thinking about a dessert I made a few days ago that was so crazy good, I must share!


I'm fairly new to baking so I thought a tart would be a fun thing to play around with. As I'm a huge citrus fan, citrus tart it was! I was in charge of making a dessert for a large group of people so it had to be on point. I did my research and decided on the best of all worlds:


Crust:

-1 1/2 sleeves of graham crackers
-1/4 cup granulated sugar
-1/4 cup butter (melted)

1. Preheat your oven to 300F.

2. Melt butter in the microwave, set aside to cool a bit.
3. Throw the graham crackers into a food processor and blitz up into a powder. (Or you could throw them into a bag and give them a good whack with a pan... go on, get out some aggression.)
4. Pour the butter into the graham cracker crumbs and combine to the texture of wet sand.
5. Dump your graham sand into an 11 inch tart shell with a removable bottom. (Tip- place your shell on a sheet tray for an easier time moving it around.)
6. Pack the mixture down as evenly and as tightly as possible. (Use the bottom of a cup to make it easier to get up the sides of the shell.)
7. When your oven comes to temperature, pop the shell in for 10 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
8. When your crust is done, set it out to cool for 10-15 minutes before filling it. 

Filling:

-4 eggs
-The zest and juice of a lemon, lime, and an orange
-3/4 cup granulated sugar
-2/3 cup heavy cream
-1/4 Tsp salt

1. Drop oven temperature to 300F.

2. In a large bowl combine the eggs, zest, juice, sugar, heavy cream, and salt. (Save a little of the zest mixture for garnish later.) Mix well.
3. Grab your tart crust and carefully pour the mixture into the shell.
4. Pop it in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the middle has set and is no longer loose. 
5. Once your tart is finished baking, place aside to cool completely, at least a few hours. 

Now, once it's cooled you can garnish however you'd like! I went with the powdered sugar and zest option and I must admit... it was cute. If people couldn't already tell by the intoxicating smell, the zest lets them know exactly what it is!





It's really a beautiful dessert and everyone will think you slaved away in the kitchen : )

By the way, everyone loved it and it was eaten up right away! Perfect for a light dessert after dinner with a fresh cup of coffee. YUM. Give it a try for your next gathering... or if you just want to stay in for the night and go to town on it. I won't judge. 

Happy baking!

-Meaghan

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these wonderful funny stories, and the food looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete